Madison Reed Hair Color Review - Is it worth it? Does it work?

Over and over I have been seeing the Madison Reed advertising for their hair dye. I love to have my hair colored in a salon, but let's face it, that's money. I don't mind dying my own hair. Though I find it a pain.

When I was young my mom would streak my hair with some of her dye. I already had honey blond hair but she dyed her hair a light blond (and still does to this day) which added lovely highlights to my hair. As I grew older, I also grew more adventurous. I always felt like I could do whatever I wanted to my hair. All else fails, cut it off and grow it again, or dye it another color.

I finally settled on black. Sure, I first did black when I was a rebellious teen. Later, it was what I was comfortable with, like it was the hair color I was meant to have. Occasionally, I would do the long drawn out process of color correcting it to either a red or brown, but I always went back to black.

After counting the measly money left in my pocket, I felt it was time to switch back to dying my own hair instead of my amazingly talented hairdresser doing it for me. My usual home dye recipe is the Clariol Soy4Plex liquicolor in 1A (Black Velvet) with the 20 volume lift. Obviously being blond I really don't need to lift color and could probably get away with a 10 volume, but now with the grays I find that the 20 does the job.  I have also previously done the eSalon hair color, which I used the Soft Black 2.0.  This time I figured I would try the Madison Reed hair color I kept seeing around.

My hair color at the time of the first use of the Madison Reed color was a deep brown with highlights.  I was looking for an allover color of black without, or very little, blue.  I took the online quiz and was paired up with a few. I cannot stand off black or near black and the first recommendation was for Positano Black which is the darkest brown black. I went with the darker Pescara Black which was supposed to be blackest black. I have longish hair with it past my shoulders so I went ahead and ordered an extra thing of the dye, though the one set was enough to do the whole head.  The set up was pretty nice which included: dye, volume in bottle, two pairs of gloves, barrier cream, cleansing wipe, shower cap, and packet set of shampoo and conditioner. The instructions were very easy to use and the set up overall was well thought out.

So the big thing for this brand, I feel, is that you can dye your hair without a bunch of nasty harsh ingredients that kill your hair and the environment, and they add in keratin and argon oil to help nourish your hair.

With needing to do an all over color and to cover the light smattering of grays that I have, I ended up having to leave this on my hair for almost an hour. I figured if it was going to be so good for my hair it was worth it. After rinsing out and using the shampoo and conditioner I leave my hair to air dry. I really do not use much heat on my hair unless I have to. My hair ended up with a very nice deep black and appeared quite healthy.

After a couple weeks my dye faded A LOT!!! I was actually okay with this as I figured I was dying my hair darker again with a gentle dye.  I went ahead and redid my dye. Same process, same time. Hair ended up with the same lovely color.  Again, in a couple weeks the color faded.  I went through four orders of Madison Reed hair dye and every single time (even with extended dye time) ended up with faded color within a few weeks. My friends commented on it. My husband commented on it. It was seriously noticeable.

So yet again, here I am with my faded black hair color and needing a dye. Though this time I will go ahead to my beauty supply and pick up the tried and true Black Velvet.  Another note would be that my mom said that she used on of the five million coupons they send you so your friends try it too for free and you get a small credit for your account, but I never saw that credit.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 Weeks BodyChange Changetime Review

Centr Fitness App Review

131 Method Diet Review