Chicken Paprika Goulash

Chicken goulash, as my family calls it, also goes by chicken paprika or chicken paprikash.  It has been a family recipe that has been handed down to me from my father who was taught by his mother.  This recipe is so simple and tasty, and not to mention budget friendly.

I have tried adapting a couple of things, but mostly I have always stuck to the original.  My parents told me that you usually choose between potatoes and ganadle, but I do both.  I have also tried sweet potato.  The flavor was great and I will try it again, but with the long cooking time, the sweet potatoes disintegrated.  So they will have to go in later.

Ganadle is a Hungarian egg noodle that is spoon dropped into your soup like a dumpling.  I'm sure it goes by several different names, but this is what I have always known it as.

Your finished chicken goulash should end up spicy with a thinish broth and chicken falling off the bone.  The spice level depends on your taste.  Before I got married and moved out of my parents house, there were three of us in and out of the kitchen altering the spice level.  My dad liked his to burn your lips off (we normally serve buttered bread with the meal to help with this).  My mother liked hers so mild that you were wondering if she ran out of the paprika and decided to make the dish anyways.  Mine is kind of a medium hot.  I like it spicy with flavor and no crying.

Another note, is to look at what paprika you're using.  We use a Hungarian sweet paprika, not the generic crap you get at Costco or store brand whooy.  So important is paprika, that when I moved out of my parents house, I stole the paprika. I know, I know.  Most kids take furniture or whatever, but no, not me.  And so important is this paprika, that I showed it to my husband and told him he could use it, but if there was only a little left not to touch it unless he saw a replacement behind it. I then gave him the idea that there would be a terrible threat to his life if he took the last of the paprika.  Such is the importance of this divine spice.  I should also note that for my husband, I went ahead and got him some Costco paprika so he could cook his little heart out, without fear.

Chicken Goulash
1 bag of frozen cut up chicken
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
3 med potatoes, peeled and large chunk
1 - 4 T paprika (to taste)- start at 1 and work your way up
1 1/2 t salt

Saute onion in 2 T olive oil until it starts to turn translucent.  Add the salt and paprika, stir, then add chicken and potatoes.  Cover with water about 2 inches.  Bring to boil, then put on a low simmer for 90 minutes.  Taste occasionally and season to taste.  Usually we keep adding paprika and only a bit of salt.  If making ganadle, you can make it at about 75 minutes.

Ganadle
1 cup all purpose flour
1 egg
1/2 t salt
1-2 T of milk
couple of dashes of paprika (optional)

Mix together and add to goulash in drops.  Use the side of a spoon to scoop about 1-2 teaspoons out and use another spoon to help "roll" it out of the first spoon. Drop these all over the pot so they don't stick together.  They will float to the top shortly and you can simmer them there until done and they soak up some of the juice.

If you have leftovers of this recipe, the sauce will thicken due to the potatoes and the ganadle.  If you are making this as part of a pot luck or similar, you can make ganadle and spoon them out after they float and re-add them later.  This recipe can be put into the slow cooker on low without the ganadle.  I usually just do the 6 hours and keep warm until I get home from work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 Weeks BodyChange Changetime Review

Centr Fitness App Review

131 Method Diet Review