Rice Congee Jook

I have fallen in love.  I've been on the lookout for things to do with Chinese healthy eating and medicinal food.  Mostly this is for my stomach, which is almost always in turmoil and for weight loss.  I know, I know... I need to go get a full allergy testing done.  But for some reason I can't make myself.  Maybe I am happy in my ignorance.  I do hate the thought that I would not, in good conscience, be able to eat all the foods that I love if I know what they do to me.

I came across a recipe for congee on one of my searches.  It also goes by the name of jook, depending on where you are in China.  You would actually find this recipe all over Asia, and it is the go to meal for when you are not feeling well.  It is also a great breakfast food.

I had recently purchased my new Instant Pot electric pressure cooker.  OMG!! This machine is awesome.  It's a 6 in 1 pot that is a pressure cooker, slow cooker, steamer, soup and chili maker, its got a saute feature, and wait for it............................. a button just for congee!!!!  So of course, that is one of the things that started my search.  I wondered what is congee?  Then I found out about how good it is for you and helps with all of those things that I have wrong with me and more.

I also saw that you can switch out the grains for other benefits and for regional recipes.  I was very interested in the millet congee.  I will be trying that one next.  The overall recipe is really just rice, water, and salt.  If you can manage to get those ingredients, you are set.  And what did it cost you?  About 3 - 5 dollars for the rice?  And it made how many meals?  If you can spare some extra dough, I would say spring for the chicken and make your own broth.  You can buy broth, but its not as healthy and is processed.

I took 2 cups of golden calrose rice, 4 cups of homemade broth, 6 cups of water.  I turned on the Instant Pot and set it for 25 minutes.  This was how long it stated for white rice, so I knew that it might take a bit longer.  After the pot was done I let the pressure go down mostly on its own and then checked it out.  The grains were not as soft as they needed to be and so I put the pot back on for another round for the same time.  This time it came out perfect.  I a small nubs worth of ground ginger, adn used a hand blender to make it a bit smoother.  After that I added some chopped green onion, just the greens, and some shredded chicken from making the broth.  After I put it in the bowl I topped it with a small amount of toasted sesame seed oil and black sesame seeds.  It tasted fabulous.  Not overly spiced.  I was very glad that I used my homemade broth.  I t was hearty and perfect for our cold weather that is creeping up on us.  I have taken a large bowl of it to work and take a smaller bowl to portion out when I am hungry.  My weight went down two pounds in just a couple of days, and my tummy feels better.  It's not the only thing that I am eating but I make sure that my largest meal is breakfast and lighten up as the day goes on.

Congee stores very well for a handful of days, so I make the big pot and it lasts me for a while.  It's also a very cost effective meal.

I am a convert.  Thankfully I have found some great books on healthy Chinese cooking that I should be receiving any day now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 Weeks BodyChange Changetime Review

Centr Fitness App Review

131 Method Diet Review