Perfecting Your Steamed Rice

Making steamed rice can seem a chore if you don't know what you are doing.  I will be making this steamed rice in a rice steamer.  Long ago I decided that I didn't care for using a pot on the stove.  I suggest you upgrade to a machine if you already haven't.

For this recipe, I will be using 2 cups of calrose rice, a pinch of salt, and water.  Later I will season my rice for my recipes, but that is optional.  But there are a lot of things that are not.

When measuring your rice, you need to use the provided cup from your machine. I've had a few, so I have a couple in easy reach. If you accidentally threw yours away, you need to remember that a Japanese cup is about 2/3 cup in American measurement. 

You need to wash your rice at least three times.  Three is the magic number, but you might need one more, just watch the water.  The first rinse I do not count, because you pretty much get the rice wet and pour off the water.  This is the dirty water and you need to work quickly, because you do not want your rice to absorb the dirty water.  After that, you cover the rice with cool water and form your hand into something like a claw.  Roll around the rice, and notice the milky white color.  Pour this off without tossing your rice out of the bowl.  Keep doing this until the water is mostly clear.


After that, look of the numbered measurement going up the side of the bowl.  I used two cups of rice, so I will fill to the two line.  Fill it up, place on the counter, and see where it lines up.  Most of the time, people under fill because the bowl is uneven when you fill it.


Add a pinch of salt, cover, and let sit at least for an hour.  I left my rice for about 5 hours once accidentally, and it came out great.  You really need to leave it at least an hour though.


After the hour is over, plug in your machine, and switch it to cook.


After it's done cooking, your machine should switch to the warm setting.  Do not remove the lid.  Your rice needs to sit covered on warm for 20 minutes.


After 20 minutes have passed, use your rice paddle (sometime included with your machine) and use a folding method while cutting in.  So swoop from the bottom, pull to the top, and cut the edge of the paddle through the rice to break up. You are now done, unless you need to season your rice.



I am making some rolls for lunch, so I needed seasoned rice.  I took about a tablespoon of rice wine vinegar with a pinch of salt and a couple drops of stevia.  You are suppose to use a pinch of sugar, but I'm limiting my intake. I used Nustevia, so it didn't have the stevia aftertaste.  I slowly pour the mixture over the rice paddle that I am softly shaking side to side to help disperse the seasoning.


Use the same method of folding and cutting your rice to mix.  And now you are really done.  Look at that shiny tasty rice!!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 Weeks BodyChange Changetime Review

Centr Fitness App Review

131 Method Diet Review