Sushi Shiono Kailua-Kona, Hawaii Review

We were on Oahu and the Big Island during late February and early March for our anniversary trip.  This was our second time doing this trip and it was nice to know what was going on and what we might want to look at.  One of my favorite things about Hawaii is the food.  I love Hawaiian and Japanese food, but my husband is much more into American and Thai.  I'm going to break up some of our reviews because it will be impossible to have a super crazy long review over everything and some things need more space than others.

This is for Sushi Shiono on Alii Drive.

I've been to Sushi Shiono during my last trip.  This place can get pretty busy and I somehow managed to get in without a reservation the first time.  Though I did have to wait a while.  I always prefer to eat at the sushi bar.

I told my husband that I was in the mood for Japanese food.  I was actually planning on going to the Japanese place close to Sushi Shiono that was completely fabulous.  They had various dishes very delicately prepared and my favorite shabu shabu.  Sad to say, that place was closed down.  I just about cried.  Sushi Shiono looked packed and my husband used the restaurant being closed as his excuse he didn't have to eat Japanese food.  So off we went to Humpy's.  I guess it would just have to wait.

Again my Japanese craving kicked in.  This time I told my husband that we should go by and try to get a reservation for a bit later that evening at Shiono.  He went for it, mostly I think because he really didn't have a choice.  We got there and they were actually slow.  I decided that I would just go ahead and sit down for dinner.

My husband didn't bother looking at the menu.  He assumed that there was nothing there that he would want to eat.  (Yes, I'm complaining about my husband this review.)  I note here that the next day I showed him online that there were plenty of options that would have satisfied him.

I ordered an appetizer, hiyayakko, and a sapporo for my husband with a hot sake for me.  I asked if just wanted me to order and he said he didn't care.  So I went a bit crazy.  I just went with pairs, though I usually tend towards sashimi.  I ordered:  hamachi, saba, mirugai, ikura, awabi, and amaebi.  Lest I say that I was super excited due to mirugai and awabi not being available in Alaska.



My husband decided to tell me he wasn't hungry and I had to eat by myself with him hovering over his beer and barely talking.  He got some looks from the chef and staff.  He definitely got a look from me.  I figured out at this point in our trip that when he says that he's not hungry it means he doesn't like the food.  It's a good thing I figured this out because there are many times I would have just let him go hungry.

The food came very nicely prepared.  It was very fresh and I loved it.  Even the awabi which can be a hard one to do.  I had decided not to let my husband bring me down as I enjoyed my food.  Besides him, I had a great time.  Business had picked up a lot before we left and I know we got lucky getting there when we did.  I would recommend reservations if you go.  You can call at 808-326-1696.

While we were finishing up, I asked about the Sushi Shiono stickers that were on the bar.  I was looking to buy one, but they actually gave me two and a pen!!  They seemed a bit surprised when I asked if they had any.  I thought it was very nice of them to gift them to me.  Though now I have to figure out where to put them.

Overall, my impression of this place is wonderful.  The food is great and so fresh.  The staff is very pleasant and attentive.  For the whole check it came to $78.70.  The prices are a bit high, even by Alaska standards, but I didn't find it a hard price to pay.  Now that my husband knows that there was something there he could have eaten, he says that he wished he hadn't judged it so quickly.

I had a civil conversation with him later about this eat out.  As men are not mind readers, I gave him the straight up instructions that if he didn't want to eat at a place that I was dead set to eat at, that he should go on his own for a while and meet back up after the meal.  I adore my husband and the way he understands my extremely independent nature.  He agreed with me and it's been working out ever since.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 Weeks BodyChange Changetime Review

Centr Fitness App Review

131 Method Diet Review